Know the Code: Safety on the Mountain
— Posted by Mimi on March 2, 2012
You may have seen some additions to our on-mountain restroom facilities in the past month. We have posted "Your Responsibility Code" in many of the restrooms. While it may be intuitive for most of us to follow the basic safety rules, its always a good idea to give yourself a refresher on the rules of the mountain. An old motto is "safety, fun and learning." If safety comes first, fun and learning are sure to follow. So make a promise to yourself to follow the responsibility code and share it with others - this is the best recipe for a great day on the mountain.
Your Responsibility Code:
- Always stay in control and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
KNOW THE CODE. IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.
This is a partial list. Be safety conscious. Officially endorsed by:
NATIONAL SKI AREAS ASSOCIATION.
Our website features a whole section on safety. Be sure to review this section for helpful tips and other information.
Live the Code - Watch the Video!